An ancient township
Streethay, situated to the immediate east of Lichfield is one of the ancient townships associated with the Lichfield area having historical records dating back to at least 1327. The area was originally two hamlets, Streethay and Morughale, although the latter is now lost.
Some buildings in the hamlet have ancient lineage including the site of the Manor House, to the North of Streethay, the site of which is thought to have been inhabited in the mid 13th Century and Brownsfield farm which may have its origins in the 17th century.
The name Streethay means an enclosure by a Roman road, which runs through the hamlet and was called Broadway in the early 13th Century and Stony Street in 1375. It is now known as Burton Old Road and is part of the Roman Ryknild Street.
Streethay was originally a township within St, Michael’s parish, in Lichfield and over the centuries it has had a number of boundary changes. It was converted to a civil parish in 1934. In 1983 the parish was amalgamated with its larger neighbour, Alrewas, to form Alrewas & Fradley with Streethay Parish Council. The two areas retain their separate boundaries to this day.
Impact of transport
The parish has been influenced by all the major transport networks including the canals, with boats today berthing at Streethay Wharf on the Coventry Canal and two platforms at Trent Valley Railway Station for the West Coast Main Line route from London to Scotland and the Cross-City Line route from Redditch to Lichfield via Birmingham. It is bordered to the south by the A38 major trunk road.
There is little industrial activity in the area. A brewery was once situated on Burton Road with the row of workers cottages still standing and inhabited. W.R.A.F. personnel serving at Fradley airfield during the Second World War used the area to the south west of the Anchor public house. The Anchor public house has been on this site since 1824.